Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 4- Ash Wednesday, March 9th

   I would like to start by talking about the end of our day, devotions.  Today,  Ash Wednesday had new meaning for me today.  As this day is about sacrifice, in which Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for us to have eternal life.  I saw today many living examples of true sacrifice.  The sacrifices we may have made to come here to Haiti (time, money, etc.) seem to pale in comparison to the sacrifices the Haitian people make each day to live, to praise and serve the Lord.
    The Haitian doctors come to mind, having the ability to practice in their home part of Haiti or even in the states, yet they choose to work with Baptist Men serving in some of the poorest areas.  They even sponsor children from their salary for children to be able to go to school.  (As many of the Haitians we met today that live on the Mt. are illiterate.  Most schools are private & can only be afforded by the more wealthy people).  
    Another example I witnessed today in the Mt's. of Tapyo, was just the sharing and sacrifice the children make to help their siblings survive.   In America we are very territorial, and whats mine is mine, yet here in Haiti the children although they are starving share their food.  One such family came to me today with chicken pox, and all three children had very high fevers 102-103 degrees F.  I immediately, went to get them Children's Tylenol, and began giving each of them the medication for their fevers.  The baby had difficulty swallowing the medication, splattering a lot if it around.  The middle and older child took their medications without any problem.  As a token of appreciation I gave them my one last dumdum.  It amazed me that without even being asked each child passed around the sucker to each other.  Never complaining by calmly waiting for their turn.  We saw this throughout the day as we gave some of our left over PB & J sandwiches to the workers that helped us and a few hungry children who began to break the sandwiches and divide them among the others.  These children and families lived at the top of the mountain, covered in the dust that makes up these rocky Mt's.  Many had no pants, no shoes, and were very anxious to receive any item, or piece of clothing we may have for them.  I had a wonderful time with the children after the clinic was over.  They enjoyed me taking their picture and them getting to see themselves for the first time.  One baby girl I think I was the first white person she had seen.  She was maybe 11-12 mths old, and would hide behind her sister as she tried to get closer to see me.  Yet each time the sister would move, or I would move to try to just give her a sweet pink hat she would burst into tears and step away.  The sister and I laughed, but after a while the little girl put on the hat I gave her, and smiled at me, but still would not get close to me.  When I first arrived to the clinic, the children would stand off behind the cacti plants as I set up our triage table to do vitals. They would yell out  "Yu, or Blah (white)" just to get us to wave to them.  Just a simple wave and smile made them giggle and smile ear to hear as they repeated said "Yu, Yu, blah, blah".  Gradually they would move closer and closer behind Samaritan's Purse sponsored shelters to get closer to us. Until they were right behind me, but as I would turn to see them they would run away.   We ended up seeing 213 patients today, with a few others at the end that were not counted.  Over all I saw similar problems of stomach, bone, back pains, cold/coughs, rashes, malnutrition, and few with fevers due to chicken pox.
    As I looked around today during clinic their is a hen, and chicks pecker by, children and adults squatting in the small amounts of shade to watch as we saw the patients, one lady cooking on an open fire sweet potatoes to sell to the people coming to the clinic.  Children chewing on sugar cane.  One patient, a young boy, with beautiful full eyes, long lashes, captured my heart today.  He wore girls flower adorned pants, and a blue polo shirt way to small for him, his frail father brought him to me, and told the translator his son was mute.  Even though the child could not speak his beautiful face melted my heart.
   Today the climb up the mountain was amazing seeing the sacrifice it takes the people who probably spend any entire day walking up or down for food/water, gasoline, etc.  It was probably a 30 drive for us up a white dusty gravel road hugging the edge of the mountain.  Along the way we saw children and families carry water, or food on balanced on their heads.  Young children carrying the babies on their backs.  Some have motorcycles, but most walk.  One man whom we saw at the beginning of the day, was still chipping away at the rock on the side of the Mt. gathering stone to sell. 
   I think about the missionaries here, Bobby and Wanda sacrificing 6 wks to support and coordinate, and be the leaders for the groups coming each week.  A man named Rodni, a Haitian who drove two hours to get us spare parts for our vans, as well as fresh fruit for us from the market.  Rodni found out today that as part of a grant to give some Haitians citizenship in Canada, he & his wife were accepted, however he wants to stay and help Baptist Men as long as they are here.  The many workers that help us each day do not get paid, but do this out of the love of the Lord, and their own ministries to the people of Haiti, and often are only paid with a PB & J sandwich and bottle of water at lunch.
   The sacrifices I saw today really challenged me to pray about what I need to give up, not only for lent but in order to depend more on God, give up my control, my fears/worries, and crave Him/ serve Him more.
  Tonight at the devotional, in closing we were read Psalm 51:1-17; in summary basically saying "have Mercy on us oh God, forgive us for our sins (our pride, control, worry, business, selfishness), for these are against you, cleanse us, create in me a PURE HEART, & RENEW a STEADFAST SPIRIT within me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation, & grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a contrite heart."
  Tonight it is raining, our first sounds of rain on the house.  I look forward to tomorrow working in tent city.

1 comment:

  1. WOw! GOd is really moving in you and through the peoples lives!! GOd is working!!

    ReplyDelete