Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 5: Thursday- Tent city clinic

      Today was a wonderful day of new experiences and many blessings.  I began my day awaking at 5am, and helped to PB & J sandwiches for the crews.  We had a wonderful breakfast made each morning by Wanda, said our morning prayer as we circled outside, hand in hand.  The weather was once again beautiful, the sun shining bright, the rolling Mt's. behind, and the refreshing breeze.  Many geckos (like our lizards) crawl around, on the windows, the ground, and make a chirping noise at night.  My Alpha team road out to the tent city today to have clinic under a UNICEF tent.  As we set up, the doctors begin to educate the lines of patients that have already gathered, waiting on us about cholera, TB, hygiene, etc., as well as present the gospel, and have singing and prayer.  Each day we have had about 3-4 salvation's at our site, today we had six at our site!  Bethany & I enjoyed seeing these patients, from pregnant women, to a lady who was 90 years old!!  These patients seem to have similar problems I had seen before, stomach pain, body aches/pains, cold/cough, UTI, eye problems, High blood pressure.  I did see one lady that had injured her wrist. I felt very bad for her, but got excited inside having an orthopedic problem that I was used to seeing at work.  She still had good pulse in her fingers, but with unable to x-ray her arm, we splinted and wrapped it with the bandages we had. 
   -I met a miracle little girl today, named Venia.  She is three years old and came to me today with complaints of mouth sores & pain, & ear pain.  As I examined her and began to get her vital signs I noticed that he right arm was extremely scared, and her little hand mangled.  The right side of her face droops, and is swollen.  I soon came to learn from Dr. Vlad, that this little girl had been injured in the earthquake.  Her house collapsed on her and he right side had been caught under debride.  Her mother who had was outside at the market during the earthquake after three days could still not find her daughter.  She paid someone to bulldozer the house to get her daughters body.  However, to everyone's surprise and amazement, they found her alive.  Dr. Vladimyr said they gave her two drinks that she guzzled down, after they found her.  She did have to have surgery to save her right upper extremity and her face, but is alive and doing well.  She only had trouble eating food because she often bites and gets sores in her mouth on the right side, but is adapted at using her right limb.  This little girls personality and cognition was all there, she actually caught my attention as soon as I met her, standing apartment from the other children that have only some smiles.  This little girl quickly grabbed my hand and just wanted to hold my hand while I treated her and her mom.  Venia smiled, and was curious about each thing I was doing.  Dr. Vlad had to flush out her right ear because of the injury it was totally stopped up.  Venia sat so patiently, letting him clean, until the very end when he had to apply a lot of pressure to release the plug.  She burst into tears, however was comforted by a small prayer beanie baby I was able to give her, the bear's name on the tag was hope.  My sister gave me this bear to give to a child who might need it.  I carried it in my bag each day to the clinics, but was not sure if I would find the right child to give the gift to until today.  Venia was hope because she had survived the earthquake for three days at age 2, now age 3 her mother hopes to send her to school.  (I learned that Haitian children begin school at age 3).  Dr. Valdimyr got the mothers phone number to contact her later and possible helping her be able to go to school.  Unaware that they had discussed about school, at the end of the day Bethany & I asked Vladimir about how we can continue to support these people.  He mentioned Venia and her need for schooling, and we both said we would love to sponsor her.  It is only $100 to send this little girl to school for one entire year.  Then Crystal (another team member from Charlotte), said that she was given $ from a friend to use for a need she might find in Haiti, and over heard us talking and said she was also like to help support his girl.  I was so thankful that God sent her to our clinic today, as she was such a blessing to us!
  Another amazement today was Bethany treated a set of triplets, and later a set of twins!!
  Towards the end of clinic, I asked Vlad if I could come sit with him and see the end part of the clinic when he exams them, talks to them more in depth, and prescribes them medications, and treats their needs.  I had the most amazing time, as with the first patient he had me write down what their problems/ complaints were then told me how he would examine them.  He let me then listen to their breathing, and taught me where to properly listen.  Then he asked me based on the findings what medications I thought we should give them.   He helped me determine the medication, dosage, and amount, as I would write it on their sheet for them to give to the pharmacist/volunteer.  I enjoyed helping him treat a older women with an abscess in her ear, he let me look in the otoscope, and taught me tips to cleaning out the pus.  We flushed her ear with half saline, half hydrogen peroxide, then he drew up a syringe of lidocane and Keflex, and let me give her the shot.  It was quite a long needle, but it was no problem sticking in the lady's small but muscular arm.  She was very tough and did not even flinch.  I aspirated back and there was no blood and continued to slowly inject the medication.  I also saw a women 5 mths pregnant coming for prenatal care.  Dr. Vladimyr said if only I could stay longer to help deliver a baby, I could have a baby named little Rachel after me like he had (the child named Vladimyr after him, that he delivered).   I could only hope that I could help one day help with a delivery here in Haiti :)  There are many women pregnant, I probably saw about 5 today. 
  At the end of clinic the children were told to line up by age and in a straight line and they could receive one donated item.  Bethany and I were told we could do the honors.  This started out well, as I passed out one pencil, or pen (they all asked for the "ploom", pen first), as poor Bethany tried to match the size of the clothing with the child.  However, it soon got a little out of hand as she got down to the end of the pile, and there were only large men's t-shirts left, and the crowd that had gathered began to argue over the items.  Dr. Vlad had to quickly take the last items and we loaded up the truck to leave. 
   Bethany & I got to ride back in with the rest of our group in a "tap tap", however this one was very safe and not overcrowded as you normally see.  We had one of our Haitian drivers, and he drove very well to let us get somewhat of the experience of riding in this small truck that had benches built in the along the sides of the truck bed, and a cover over top.  The name "tap tap" comes from the fact that you tap the side of the truck when you want to get off then pay the driver.  This was a fun ride with the cool, yet dusty breeze back to the compound.  Although we only had one scare coming back, when a large paving truck decided to try to pass a slow moving tap tap, and headed straight towards us, but right before us he swerved over to his lane.  Tom, (one of our team members) joked that when the other Haitian team members on the tap tap gasped, and were scared, we new that this was truly a scary experience since they are used to riding on tap taps.  This particular road we were on was just being paved today, and there are no lines painted, and no speed limit; drivers seem to go as fast and drive as crazy as they can on this one paved road since all the other roads are dirt/gravel, and they have to go slow and careful.  But we all had a good laugh about it. 
   We arrived safely back to the compound this afternoon, in which the entire property is gated, with barbed wire fencing around the perimeter, and the gates are manned by two to four men carrying large guns, almost looking like bounty hunters.  I was intimidated at first, but each day passing by them to go to the clinics and returning they always give us a way and smile back if we wave to them. 
   After showers, laundry, house chores, some rest, others play card games, I blog, as we watch the Haitian cook making baked chicken with vegetables, and cut fresh fruits that Reggi drove far to get us yesterday.  I look forward to dinner tonight although I am not very hungry, because we are constantly drinking Gatorade, crystal light, etc.  since there is not any air conditioning and the hot weather.  However, the house we stay in is very nice, with many many fans in every room, and screened windows, doors, and a porch to let the breeze flow through the house. 
   I am sad that tomorrow is our last day at clinic :)  It is such a fulfilling experience, even just giving a baby some Tylenol today that had 104.4 temperature, and other medications for anemia, worms, vitamins.  Just knowing you are a part of saving a life, is so worth it!!  Even though I wish I could speak to each person in creole, the simple smiles or waves, we exchange I hope speak volumes.  I look forward to tomorrow, although I hate that it will be the last clinic day :(  However, I pray it will be memorable, and life changing, I look forward to working with Dr. Vlad again at the end of clinic to learn hands on how he treats each patient.  It will be hard leaving Saturday morning, the week of course has seemed to to go by all too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment