Friday, December 23, 2011

Mon. Dec. 12th, 2011: The first clinic day was the best

… getting to see all my Haitian friends again; it truly was the best Christmas gift!!! I had missed them all so much, and they were excited to see me as well. I am able to communicate with some of them on facebook, but it was so great to hug them again, and work alongside them.  There are often weeks where they have no team to help, the coordinators Mr. B, and Mrs. W, are their only assistants. But they are each amazing learning to work any aspect of the clinic from triage, taking vitals, to assisting the doctors, and working the pharmacy.  I was on team Omega with Dr. F, "St"-nurse,"Mic" in pharmacy, "W" to translate for Mrs. J-nurse, and Mr. B in pharmacy.  I was to do the triage by myself, which I was not sure how well I would do with the hundreds of patients, but each day God was faithful and gave me the strength I needed, as well as the patients always motivates to keep going.  Especially the little ones, there was always one little angel at every clinic who would come stand by my side, they love to rub my arm, or hand, and place their little hand on leg.  They do not know how they are such a blessing to me, when I look out at the hundreds of patients waiting for me; the little one by my side encourages me to keep going.  The first day it was a little girl, and a little jean dress, she stood right by me, hand on my arm, and watched me as I worked. 


This first clinic was in Carfour Fugy (the other team in Bon Repos), we were not at the usual location….but this time had clinic in an open church.  It was so great to return to doing mobile clinics again, I love it!! We unloaded the van, and set up clinic as the people waited on the wooden benches of the church.  We introduced ourselves, and Dr. F educated the patients, and Innocence shared with the patients about Christ, and praise we had three people accept Christ that day!  Between the two clinics we saw 345 patients. ~ Today we had one lady, almost fully blinded by cataracts, her son guiding her over to me. It was so sad to see, this woman losing her sight, due to something that can be fixed in the US.  Wow just to think how much this women is having to endure and go through just to make it each day.  Living in Haiti each day is hard enough, but being handicapped, is unimaginable to me.  Mrs. W shared about a woman at her clinic crippled from rheumatic fever; she usually crawls each week to clinic to get needed medications.  It’s hard enough to walk miles and miles to clinic in the heat, but to crawl and walk on your hands to clinic is astounding to me.  This woman also brings her three children, one she papooses to her stomach and the other two follow close behind.  This was unfathomable for me to hear, showing true dedication that this woman has to life and for her children!  Seeing them makes my struggles in life seem so pale and meaningless compared to what she goes through each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment