Sunday, July 31, 2011

7/15/11: Goodbyes and Closing thoughts…..

               When we arrived back at the house, I was surprised to still see some of the Haitian workers sorting through and cleaning the medical items and supplies from the week.  I enjoyed helping them refill medications and repack the items, listening to them joke and have a good time together.  One of the Haitian driver’s enjoyed trying out my camera taking a few photos of us at work J.  
             I enjoyed getting to visit more with some of the Haitian staff that evening.  I talked with 'Tar' about her hope to go to Pharmacy school; I told her I would pray about this and help her find some information to see about her possibilities, maybe even in the U.S.                                                   
***P.S. If anyone has any information or incite about medical or pharmacy programs that will accept Haitian students, please let me know and I will pass this along to these dear students who are hoping and praying they will have the opportunity to go to medical or pharmacy school.
                                       
            That evening I went through my pictures, as well as pictures of Dr. Vlad & Dr. Merline to pull together to make them a photo book for their wedding guests to sign.  **It was so inspiring looking through their photos of the many countless lives they have touched, whether through NCBM, or patients, children they have supported and sponsored, friends in Indiana (who sponsored their schooling), or political leaders in Haiti. They are a precious couple, both brought together by God to serve Him in Haiti.  To see the pictures of the now 82 teams that have come to Haiti since the earthquke to work with them.  Amazing how God brought Dr.Merline (a Haitian Baptist minister's daughter),  and Dr. Vlad, (at the time a new believer that paid $1 to go to a Billy Gramham talk), together in Haiti to meet someone from the U.S. (from Indiana) that paid for their medical schooling!  Although they could now practice in the U.S., they have chosen to commit their lives to serving their people in Haiti.  I am so thankful for them, may God bless their upcoming marriage!

    ~I enjoyed that evening talking with my fellow Haitian brothers and sisters in Christ.  Sometimes the language barrier makes it difficult, but I enjoy learning about their lives.  How God has brought them to work for NCBM.  Their hopes, their dreams for the future.  They will always be in my prayers, and I pray God's blessings for them.  I already see God working in their lives, and He has used them in Mighty ways, giving them God-given gifts to learn and pick-up English so well, and now using this to support their families, and serve with NCBM.  I am so thankful for them, their ministries in Haiti, and have hope that God will continue to use them to minister and spread God’s love and gospel to the lost in Haiti! 
                                
            ~It was very sad saying goodbyes and last hugs, to the doctors and Haitian friends, as it was time for our last group devotional.  I walked outside under the stars, over to the circle for devotionals, and sat in open chair that was waiting for me, as streams of tears welled in my eyes and began to run down my face, as I watched the last of the Haitian staff walk off the compound in the dark.....back to their homes, their life in Haiti.  This time really hit me, we had reached the end, the closing of the trip. 
            ~It had been an incredible two weeks, as I recounted all the many memories and unforgetable blessing from the week!  Yet my heart was heavy hearing Pastor Tom closing remarks, stating the reality that, “we will never be in this same time, place, with same people, or mission again, every mission trip is different…. NCBM will be leaving in October, so it’s so sad that most likely this exact Haitian team that God brought together will not all be working together in this large of an operation anymore.”  The workers come from all around Haiti, from Port-au-prince, to Bon Repo, and Titanyen (to name the ones I know).  Yet they are an incredible team of Christian Haitian men and women, and I am excited to think about the future!
        I pray we will be able to continue our educations, and I can return to Haiti as a P.A., to work with Dr. Vlad, Dr. Merline, Dr. Francise, at their future clinics and schools, and work with some of the Haitian medical staff, my friends, as they work hard to become future nurses, doctors, pharmacists, and other great areas to serve.  Oh, to think of the perfect plan God has in store for those who love him and are called according to His purpose in Christ Jesus.  Once again I know my time here in Haiti is not done, I look forward to the next time, God willing I am able to return to Haiti, to continue to spread the gospel and share God’s love.  (In the meantime, I plan to continue to work on my Creole, so I can better communicate and understand the language :) ).  God willing, I am hoping to return in December (during school break). 
                                 
            ***I pray that these experiences will continue to weigh on my heart, and be fresh in my mind, to continue to motivate me through P.A. school, and I plan to continue to share my experiences, my passion for Haiti, and how other’s can be a part of God’s work in Haiti.  Not everyone is called to go, but we can serve wherever the Lord has us.  I do want to THANK the many people that shared God’s love with the handmade and donated clothing, medical supplies (and portable nebulizers), medications (tums, children's vitamins, tylenol, rehydration salts, etc.), prayers and support.  You touched countless Haitian’s lives, there were seven professed salvations, houses and churches were built, lives were saved from almost lifeless children, to the dehydrated, very ill, and ones about to stroke.  THANKS for the hundreds of dumdums that brought many smiles to children’s faces, calming their fears and hunger pains, and quieting their cries, taking their attention away from the heat, long waiting, and sicknesses.  THANKS for the shoes, sandals, and flip-flops that covered many precious feet, covering the blisters, the calluses, and dusty feet that work so hard, and walk so many miles every day.  THANKS for the children’s toys, crafts, and silly bands that brought smiles and joy to children’s hearts.  THANKS for the support for children’s schooling and uniforms.  THANKS for the life saving infant formula and powdered milk that was given out to the precious abandoned or orphaned babies.  These needs could not have been met without your help!! 
              ***There are still so many needs, and work to be done in Haiti, but you made a difference in many lives spiritually and physically, giving HOPE, a smile, and God’s love.  You showed the people they are not forgotten…….I think back to Sunday, at first Baptist Church Titanyen, where I partook of my first Haitian communion with gram cracker pieces and grape juice……..then at our last clinic in the Mountains as we broke our leftover PB&J sandwiches and fed as many hungry children as we could ( I felt like I was in the Bible story trying to feed the 5,000),......... and our last night, as we had communion with team 82 with a croissant and cup of Gatorade…..all these precious memories reminded that either at home in the U.S., or in Haiti we all can partake of Christ’s free gift of love and salvation for us.  As food sustains our lives, I pray that God will give them life eternal!!  Communion now has much more meaning to me; I will always see these memories flash in my mind of Christ’s body broken and blood he shed for us whether we are a precious child, man or woman in Haiti, in N.C. or across the world.  As a child of God we all have a common need for God in our daily lives, and this love brings us together. 
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment