Friday, July 29, 2011

Tuesday, 7/12/11: Titanyen Church (A blessed day I will always remember!!)

                 I enjoyed starting the morning out handing out black soccer book bags to the doctors and workers who were all excited to receive these. (My great aunt, the bags were her son’s old soccer teams, yet these will be extremely useful and helpful for the Haitians). Today our Omega team went to Titanyen church.  We headed down route one, past the busy market. People were buying and selling their goods from miles around. 
               It was exciting to go back to the same church where I had found memories before.  We unloaded, and introduced ourselves, I was happy to tell the people this was my ‘second time coming to the church…I love you all in the name of Jesus, and hope to help you feel better today as a nurse’.  Without help translating today, it was up to Marty and me to triage the patients, but thankfully we had another younger boy who wrote down the names and ages of patients, and helped us if we needed to get another paper/medical card for some patients.  It was great seeing so many children and infants today.  One lady brings a littl infant boy each week to clinic, as he is a orphan, having been abandoned, and now a woman takes care of him. Our clinic provides her with formula, clothing, and medications for the little guy.   
            
                  ***There were a few children with high fevers, and two boys who were severely dehydrated.  Both boys related to the same family, yet both struggling to stay alive.  Apparently the mother of the younger toddler boy, named Somy had abandoned him, and the father had died so a distant relative and friend were taking care of him. However, obviously he was very sick and not being taken care of very well.  I went to help Sterling, who wanted me to start the IV in his head as it was the only veins we could see and try to get any fluids in his body.  I was so sad seeing Sterling have to strap down the weak boy to the church bench, with gauze, yet he was so weak he really could only whimper.  Sterling tried the first time, yet the fluid was too much for the small vein and it blew.  I tried with Sterling the second time and we thought that it was working for a short time, yet soon the vein blew as well.  Betty, (a retired nurse of 45 years) tried the third time, and Sterling finished and we thought it was working… we wrapped his entire head with tape, and I monitored the drip.  Then we moved onto the other boy (cousin), he was about age 7 or 8, and Sterling and I worked together to get his IV in his hand the first time even though he was much stronger to struggle, and cry.  Mom and I sang ‘Jesus Loves Me’ to the little Somy, but soon noticed the IV fluids were running down his face.  We were so sad to see that the IV did not stay and removed it.  I then tried giving him some diluted rehydration salts (RS) mixed with water from a syringe in his mouth but he did not like it at all.  I discussed with Dr. Francise & Sterling if we should pay for Somy to go the hospital, but they felt it would be best to wait and try to give him oral liquids and see how he does by the end of clinic.  (As too often when money is given for patients to go to the hospital, the family or friend will pocket the money and never send the child to the hospital).  Mom and I decided to mix some of my propel in water and try to give this to little Somy with a medicine syringe, and what a praise, he sucked it down!! It was a blessing to see, so I mixed more for mom and she fed him many more vials until his belly was full.

 

 
                  I continued on back to triaging patients. I had one girl that c/o blurry vision and crusty eyes at night, it felt great to treat her myself helping her try on new glasses, and give her allergy eye drops, and Vitamin A.  The children were so precious today, I even saw two twin girls so cute.  Many of the children loved watching me and coming close to me.  I love the children; as they helped motivate me through the long line to triage. 
             *** I also had a special lunch today as I sat by myself on the bench to eat my PB & J sandwich, when a little boy maybe 3 years old just appeared standing beside of me.  He had on a raged red shirt and no pants.  Without any words, just motions I began to break off part of my sandwich and we ate lunch together, as I took a bite I gave him a bite. He never grabbed or asked, I could just see the hunger in his eyes, and that was the most special meal time I have had this entire trip sharing it with this precious boy. As soon as we finished, we made eye contact and I turned to look at my mom to show her the little boy, and as quick as he appeared, he had disappeared, and when I turned around he was gone.  He was like a small angel the Lord had sent my way that day for lunch. J
                ***We saw 165 patients today, which did not seem like that many patients, but it was a good number since I needed to stop triage to help with IV’s….. and then the most exciting interruption came!!!     A women screaming, came running into the church, we did not really know at first what was wrong, I thought maybe she was hit by a car, Marty thought it was voodoo, but she was crouched over in pain, and falling on the floor unable to really walk.  I looked to Dr. Francise, and Sterling who quickly found out that she was about to deliver!!!  **(Warning this section has delivery details).................................
               I was so excited and hurried to work fast with them to prepare a place to check the lady and get all of the supplies needed. Thankfully we had a broken table on the ground behind the church bench (where Dr. Francise saw patients), and a lace blanket hung over the back of the bench, this was a perfect set up for the women’s privacy, to shield her from all the patients.  I was so excited to be assisting alongside Dr. Francise, for what seemed to be a quick delivery. Dr. Francise checked her and said she was ready, she broke the water, and the mother started pushing, and only after a few pushes, I began to see the little curly black head!!  We grabbed a kit with clamps and blue surgical paper to set under her.  Dr. Francise assisted till the baby came out!! I laid her on her side, and began to use a medicine syringe to suction out her mouth, until she thankfully let out her first cries!!  It was amazing, Dr. Francise cut the cord, and I took the baby and wrapped her in blue surgical cloth and held her and Dr. Francise worked on the mother.  I checked the baby, and it was a girl, which I told Dr. Francise and she shared with the mother!! I handed the baby to my mom, who with Marty went and cleaned her with baby wipes.  The longest process was trying to help he delvier the placenta.  I repositioned myself so the mother could rest her head on my leg, and hold my hand as she cried to God in great pain.  It seemed like at least 10 minutes before the placenta finally released.  Then Dr. Francise had to try to stop the bleeding with gauze, and sew up the tear. This was a painful process for the mother, who I found out was only 19.  The mother and I, we became close fast, as she looked to me for comfort, as she squeezed me hands, and pulled on my neck, still resting her head  on my leg, and crying out to me with tears.  I had my mother get her some cold water, and a cold wet paper towel, and some paper to fan her, as Dr. Francise worked hard to sew up the tear. 
       *************The most amazing part of this story was that when Dr. Francise asked the mom what she wanted to name the baby, she said ‘Rachelle’, after me!!! I told Dr. Francise her middle name should be ‘Francise’, she laughed.  I did not realize it till the end of clinic that in this very church, when I was there in March, I had met a little boy named Vlad.  Dr. Vlad told me that a mother brought her son, age 5 to clinic saying this was his baby, but what she meant was Dr. Vlad had delivered this baby, and she decided to name him Vlad after him.  I took their picture that day and kind of joked with Dr. Vlad (& even commented about this on facebook in March), that 'I hope to help deliver a baby in Haiti and for her to be named Rachel' J  Then I realized that this hope had come TRUE!!! In the very same church, I helped deliver a baby girl and the mom named her Rachelle after me!!! To think this was such a God thing, this woman had come all the way down the mountain to buy and sell items at the nearby market, and felt the contractions, and rushed over to our clinic (which happened to be having clinic that one day of the week)!!

  • 
  • Dr. Vlad & Little Vlad at same Titanyen church in March, 2011
                  I was amazed with Dr. Francise, who delivered the baby so calmly, squatting during the entire delivery process, with such patience, a sweet spirit, yet confident in her care.  After Dr. Francise tied off and cut baby Rachel’s umbilical cord, she wrapped it in gauze.  Then baby Rachel was ready to be dressed, Marty was so excited to dress her in one white onesie we had left, and we wrapper her in a pink dress we had brought as her blanket. This was truly an amazing experience I will never forget! 

                It was also exciting to see two small brothers whom I recognized from when I came back in March, as they both have beautiful eyes, both typical boys with lots of energy, and loved taking photos with.

 
                As soon as we returned to back to the compound I was so excited to share with Dr. Vlad first, and others about the exciting day, with Rachel’s arrival!!
                                                           ---------------------------------------
                That tonight I was very excited to get to go to the ‘Mission of Hope’ (MOH) worship service. The service starts at 5, but we were running late because of the happenings at clinic, however it worked out perfectly to get there latter because the church began to fill later in the evening as time went on.  It was so kind of ‘In’ to drive mom, me, and another mother and her daughter to the service.  We entered the locked gate, and walked up to the church. Once we walked in, we searched for a row to sit in, and it was such a blessing to see someone that I thought I recognized.  It was my translator’s younger brother, whom I had only seen pictures of on facebook, but had hoped one day to meet!  Later I saw one of our translators, who had told us about the service.  The worship service was so powerful, everyone with hands raised, hearts of prayer, and singing with their whole heart in beautiful harmony. They even sang a few chorus phrases in English, and went back to Creole. I enjoyed being among such strong Christians & believers, whose worship was such a testimony to me.  I loved to see even one small 3 year old girl raising her hands in worship. :)  Thanks to ‘In’ for taking us!!
 
 
                We ended the evening with devotionals, which was a great time to reflect on the day, to hear how so many people were emotionally effected by the patients we saw today. 
          Tonight, we slept very well, as the rain poured down, it brought a cool breeze throughout the house.   

No comments:

Post a Comment