Monday, July 25, 2011

Last clinic day of the week in Archaie- 7/8/11

                Today is our last clinic day in Archaie.  I enjoyed our drive, sitting in the back of the van with ‘Mi’ and ‘Vi’, & talking to ‘Mi’ more about his medical endeavors.  ‘Mi’ is striving very hard to get to go to medical school, as he competes in a program called, ‘Stim’.  He has won 2xs and if he continues to win the top scores, could earn a scholarship for medical school.  He is very smart and I pray he will get scholarships for medical school and become the OBGYN doctor like he has dreamed of!! He is the third child I think of 5 or 6, and works very hard at school, at a cyber café, & with NCBM.  He (of course speaks Creole) but knows French, and taught himself Spanish, and his English is excellent, better than most of the workers.  He talked about hoping to get a scholarship to Liberty College, which I pray he will get since it is close, and I cannot remember the other school.
                 Our last clinic was held in a church in Archaie, a beautiful cement block church, with a choir of children singing behind the church practicing as we set up the clinic.  Over all the patients in Archaie were healthier since they lived in better conditions than the other clinic sites.  This day I had to actually use the large size BP cuff, for some larger patients.  The one little girl patient at the very end of clinic, showed up with a badly busted knee, she limped over to me hoping I could help her.  I was so excited to treat the little girl, by cleaning and wrapping her knee then I wrote her a Rx on a card for amoxicillin 250 mg TID x 7days and multivitamins, and explained to keep it clean and return if it does not heal or gets infected.  As I treated the little girl I noticed that several adults and children had gathered around to watch what I was doing.  After I put some Neosporin on the girl’s wounds, the other mothers watching (who had been given cards to return next week), began to show me their child’s sores on their arms and legs, motioning for me to care for their children.  Since it is Friday (our typical half day), I knew these patients would have to wait till next week, so one by one I put on new gloves and put Neosporin on their sores.  They needed more than just Neosporin, but they were so grateful to get some attention and some care for their child.  I was thankful though that this short day was mainly just minor cases and follow-ups, because we were still very busy.  I was so grateful for Mi’s help this day, as he was not feeling well yet helped me catch up doing glucose, and pregnancy tests, as well as helping in pharmacy. 

                                    
                After finishing triaging the patients, I enjoyed playing with the sweet children.  They are such affectionate and loving children, wanting to hug and hold onto me and be close to me.  They loved getting their pictures taken, playing with bubbles, and playing with a blow up ball, and coloring.  ‘Vi’, one of the American volunteers was so sweet in telling me I was the most well rounded, but really I was the only other medical person besides the Haitian doctor and nurse on our team.  However, I do love being able to help in all aspects of the clinic from triage, to assisting the docs, to giving out meds in the pharmacy!
                                         
                After clinic we drove to the historical park in Archaie, where we met the rest of the group and ate our sandwiches. We then walked around the market/ harbor by the ocean.  I kind of felt bad, like we were a parade, or circus walking through looking at the people, in their make shift wooden stands trying to sell their produce or items (which I was amazed to see flies covering the chicken, and fish that lay on the tables for sell).  I was actually glad to complete the walk quickly through, and get back on the van. You just feel bad, watching them work so hard, taking so much pride in what little they have.  We truly take for granted what we have or the easy access we have to clean food and water in the states. 



                After that we got back in the vehicles where Dr. Merline and Dr. Vlad took us to their soon to be new home!! It was in a lush part of Archaie, down a small road where water trenches line the houses, and where plantains and plants fill the area.  It was beautiful and green like a tropical rainforest. They want to have medical teams be able to come and stay with them in December, but the Temples say they probably will not have teams till later in Jan./Feb.  I am so excited and hope I will be one of the ones to get to come stay with them.
                                   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               ***Back at the house we had our last devotional with team 81, challenging us as to what message will we take back to share with friends and family from our time in Haiti?  Our emotions will weigh up and down, yet how can we express what God has done in our life here in Haiti.  I shared that it is the people here whom I have met the workers, doctors, the patients, people, and other team members, that have impacted my life, the Haitians are a beautiful people, all with precious stories, many of hardship, yet many on fire for the lord!  They serve alongside us to help the Haitian people have a better life, to feel better, but most importantly to save people’s lives through eternal salvation in Christ. I love working with the Haitian staff, I love the creole language (that I am trying hard to understand), I enjoyed the food, the warmer weather, the mountains, and clear blue water.  But it is the people and the stories of hope like Venia’s that I share with others back home to show them pictures, and try to show a bit of Haitian life to Americans. 
               ~I am also challenged by the Haitians….am I as committed as they are to sharing the gospel in my home country;  to seek after the Lord daily, as hard as they do; to have the faith and trust that God will provide, that He will guide and direct me each day.  They are dedicated each week to travel down difficult roads, up to remote mountain villages, to take medical care and God’s love to these people.  Am I was dedicated in my own work areas?  Do I worship whole heartedly as the Haitians do each Sunday at my church, pouring out their hearts in praise and giving sacrificial offerings to God.  ***May we not become complacent in our ways, yet be enflamed, and renew our passion to share, and serve where we are, and around the world.  Renmen ou Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment