Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cabaret Baptist Church- Tuesday, July 5th, 2011


              This morning for some reason I was just really anxious, excited for the day, yet worried I was not prepared enough as I should hoping to make the most of each day. Then during my quiet time, Pam pointed out to me the message written for the day in the book, “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young.  The book is a narrative as if Christ is speaking to you, and it shared, *** “that your security is in Christ along, we will never be in control of our lives. Instead of striving for predictability, and a safe lifestyle, seek to know Me (God) in greater depth and breadth.  Life is an adventure, stop clinging to old ways and be on the lookout for all I have prepared for you. (Romans 8:38, Psalm 56:3-4, Isaiah 43:19)  This message really spoke to me and gave me new perspective for the day.   We cannot be worry about what the day might hold, yet have peace that we know who holds our day, that is the Lord Jesus Christ. 
                In this day I saw what God had been preparing for. There was an older gentleman whom I was seeing with Dr. Halbrooks that has cirrhosis, and a history of drinking and smoking. On his medical card there had been a note made from a previous group just saying he may have an interest in knowing about God. Dr. Halbrooks took the opportunity with this seed that had been planted to ask him if he knew the Lord. The man replied that he did not know the Lord and did not know anything about Jesus. I gave the man a pamphlet written in creole I had found at the compound, which had some verses written on it. We told the man that his daughter could read this to him, since he could not read.  Pastor Phil with the translator, Mike furthered talked with the man about Christ, sharing the gospels with him. Then when asked if he wanted to know Christ, the man said maybe later, maybe when I go home, however Mike really encouraged the man to accept Christ now, and he did receive Christ that day!!! The doctors have his name and contact information to follow up with him and connect him to a church. Praise God!! **************
                                  
                The clinic this day was held in an church, built open to the outside (the original church was unsafe to be in since the earthquake).  We saw many patients; I did many blood pressure checks, and a few glucose checks (Mi was awesome helping me do most of the glucose checksJ).    I enjoyed watching Pam blow bubbles with the kids at one point of the clinic.  Then once the triage part was finished, I sat with Dr. Halbrooks, and watched and took notes on how he treated the patients, and what meds to prescribe.  I enjoyed sitting by the translator, St as he sang all of the contemporary praise and worship songs he had learned from the church services at Mission of Hope, which he said he goes to these amazing services every Tuesday night and Sunday. (Which made me want to go, humming along with him the songs J).  At the end of the clinic there was a little girl that came to show Dr. Merline the new pair of shoes she was able to get.  Dr. Merline was so loving toward her and gave her a box of snacks, and items, as I later found out Dr. Merline sponsors the girl’s schooling since the little girl’s mother at only age 30 became blind and now is unable to care for and make money to support the girl. 
                                  
                *At devotionals that night during prayer requests we prayed for these many patients we encounter that we would seize the opportunities to share the gospel with them at the medical clinics. To not get too busy in the number of patients, yet take the time to be a part of each person’s life, and share God’s love with each person. Another prayer I had was for the orphanage that we would find the location, and that it would go well.
                After prayers, it was time to sleep, however for some reason I was not tired.  I do not think I really ever fell into a deep sleep, my mind continued to think about the day, and anticipate tomorrow…..

No comments:

Post a Comment