Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last Clinic Day in Luly: Friday, 7/15/11

             Last night I had a hard time falling sleep, just a lot on my mind about the last day approaching, my mind recounting over all the precious memories of the trip.  I began in the living room on the couch (where I had slept the previous two nights, since it was cooler), but ended up finally falling asleep that night back on the top bunk (as there was a cooler breeze from the two windows).  I woke up early, about 4:30am tired, yet excited (with mixed emotions of butterflies in my stomach) and anxious for the day. 
                I cherished our last morning with the Haitian staff coming in for breakfast, as I greeted them all. 
I love when ‘Pi’ who does not know much English greets me every morning, Rachellllleeee! Bonjour (Good Morning), how are you?  I enjoyed getting to see pictures of some of the Haitian staff’s families, and meet some of their families over these past two weeks. 

                Our team loaded up in two vans to go to Arachie historical park.  Since I had already been to the park two times, I rode in the van with our medical team on to the set up at the clinic.   My mother went with the team to the historical site, which she enjoyed hearing from Dr. Vlad about the proud heritage of his country.  As well as Dr. Vlad took the team to see his and Dr. Merline’s land, beautifully a top a mountain with gorgeous views of the rolling mountains on one side, and the Caribbean ocean on the other side.  I missed not seeing the views in person, but thankfully my mom took some video clips to show me J                
        However, I enjoyed the ride with my Haitian family, listening to them talk, laugh, and joke in Creole.  The scenic drive was beautiful; I felt so at peace, enjoying the gorgeous sites and last moments with my friends.  *Looking out my window I see the lush green tropical plants, plantains…people selling produce and goods along the road side…people walking carrying items on their heads.  Glimpses of the blue, turquoise ocean would peak through occasionally through the greenery.  The blue sky and sun shining through on the middle of the road between the canopy of beautiful bright red flowered trees lining either sides of the van. 
                           
                The drive seemed longer than I remembered, but we made it to the gated church site, where patients had already gathered outside.  Now the clinic is held outside in the courtyard of the gated church and school area (since it is more spacious and cooler outside to have clinic, even though it was still pretty hot J).  Pharmacy was set up on the cement raised side porch of a school building, and triage and seeing patients was set up across the way under a beautiful green tree with the flamboyant red flowers.  It was perfect timing, as we just finished setting up, the rest of the team arrived in time for our introductions to the patients.  We stood at the gate door, as one by one we greeted the patients, introducing ourselves through the megaphone, saying our name, occupation, and our intentions of serving them in Jesus’s name.  *I closed the introductions following my mother, and told the crowd this was my third week in Haiti, yet very sad to be my last clinic before I leave.  I told the Haitian people, I love them, and that they motivate and inspire me to continue my medical schooling, so I can return and further help meet their medical needs.  This was so heartbreaking to say this, standing by Dr. Francise’s side as she translated for me.                                                
                                  
                Dr. Francise continued to educate the patients and pray with them, and mom and I went to a ladies home to use her bathroom.  On our way up the rocky path, we saw the usual desert looking lizards scuttle by.   It was a nice cement block house, two bedrooms, and a bathroom with a toilet and shower.  The toilets though do not flush; you have to pour water down to force it in the hole in the ground.  In one bedroom was a matrice, in the other a crib, only a few possessions adorned the rooms.  The lady was so sweet to let use her toilet (such a luxury item to have).  I enjoyed seeing her cute baby boy who I think was a little scared of mom J
                ‘Inn’ began to send small groups of patients at a time through the gate with their medical piece of paper for me, Marty, and ‘Wi’ to triage.  It was interesting to see that most of these patients were well nourished, as the land here is more fertile.  I had a few larger women, and girls, many that brought their children, and many that were pregnant.  One woman eighteen months pregnant showed up at the very end of clinic, having been her first clinic visit.  Most of the patients that have been treated these past weeks are seen for: conjunctivitis, skin infections (the typical ones are: Tinea Capitis, Tinea Dermitis, Impedigo, Scabies, & fungal infections), colds (bronchitis, cough, rhinorhea), malnutrition, anemia, parasitosis, fevers (due to Malaria, typhoid, upper respiratory infection), UTI, diarrhea, cholera, and follow-ups from the earthquake. 
                However, today we saw many unique patients with various illnesses.  There were the quite a few patients with skin infections, however today there was one man that was covered in warts all over his skin.  One younger girl shared that she lost her baby two months ago, but has still been having some female related problems.  Two men quickly walked up to us carrying a plastic chair with an older woman slouched in.  She looked like she was either about to pass out or have a stroke, shaking and gagging, and difficulty breathing.  Dr. Francise immediately went over to the woman to care for her.  After examining her I noticed, a huge sore/ hard mass under left arm on the side of her breast.  It looked like it had been there for a while.  Dr. Francise had to tell the woman that this was cancer, and she would need to go to a hospital.  The woman was given pain medications, and Marty was so sweet to stay by her side monitoring her BP, glucose, and vitals, and help her keep calm.  The woman began to oddly try moving one of her arms, as she was unable to use it properly; it looked like she had already had a stroke. 
                There was another middle aged woman that had a hard mass on her ankle.  Dr. Francise tried to aspirate the mass, however it was too hard.  Dr. Francise suspects this is a bone cyst, and referred her to a hospital for orthopedic care.  One middle aged woman came with cholera; I learned that a sure sign was blood in the urine.   I assisted Sterling and ‘Wi’ to give her an IV of fluids and Cipro.  There was one man, that had been hit by a car, and now has a crippled and contracted left arm.  He had made a make-shift sling with a piece of cloth, as he had no use of his arm anymore.  His blood pressure was very high 250/160, so I had Sterling see him right away.  Towards the end of clinic there was one little boy that had badly busted his knee, I enjoyed cleaning and bandaging his wound.  However I felt bad that he had to get a shot of Cipro in his hip/buttock muscle.  
                As I was continuing to triage patients, when I noticed ‘Wi’ excited to see a lady he recognized and she preceded to hand him her baby to hold.  It was so sweet to see the baby just want to be held by ‘Wi’, so he brought the baby over to where we were triaging and held her as he continued to triage.  I was curious about who the baby was, so I asked ‘Wi’ and he told me the story.  He apparently had met the mother previously when triaging her, and she had asked him what she should name the baby, and apparently the name he had picked she had chosen!  It was funny that ‘Wi’ had not remembered what the name was; until the mother told him he chose something like ‘Cherie’.  It was neat though to see them reconnect, now the baby being six months of age.  I enjoyed holding her too, so cute, with her plump cheeks.  The baby just clung to ‘Wi’ as long as she could while he was triaging, so precious to see. 
 **It was so awesome of God to send these children as blessed reminders of just the incredible impact God has allowed us (Dr. Vlad with little Vlad, me and baby Rachel, ‘Wi’ with baby Cherie) to be a apart of the Haitian people’s lives beginning from birth, and continuing those relationships.  **That’s why I love the continuity and special bond that the doctors, Haitian staff, and NCBM volunteers have been able to develop through the mobile clinics, and construction sites that we are able to develop seeing some of the same patients, same families, it is priceless! (like Venia).
                               
                   Finishing our half day clinic, we packed up everything, as I am always amazed at the Haitian's tight packing skills, so organized, and fit everything perfectly, some in the back of the van, but most strapped on top of the van (tables, chairs, bins with meds & supplies, etc.).  We took some final pics of our team, and drove back to the compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment